When updating an email message in GMAIL, you may need to style it in order to transmit the content accurately to your recipients, and striking through is one of those formatting possibilities. Unfortunately, Google does not yet give an out-of-the-box means to strikethrough text in Gmail emails, but you may easily do it with this approach. This works in both your personal Gmail and Google Workspace ( Gmail for business).
Strikethrough is not the most typically used formatting option, but it is critical when it is required. Typically used to make a reference to the original intended text while writing the alternate version. Although it is a fairly fundamental function of most text editors, Gmail did not allow strikethrough formatting for a long time. To get this strikethrough in Gmail feature, we had to rely on strikethrough text generators or alter the HTML code.
Thankfully, at the start of 2019, Gmail began natively integrating a strikethrough button. However, it is offered in a fairly hidden location, so you might not be able to spot it right away. As a result, I’ll show you how to strikethrough text in Gmail today.
Also Read: How To Sort Gmail by Date Oldest (Quick Tip)
Also Read: How to Find Archived Emails in Gmail
How to use strikethrough in Gmail
- Open the Gmail “Compose” box and enter the text to be strikethrough.
- Now, pick the text by holding down the left mouse button and dragging it, and then click the “Formatting choices” button at the bottom.
- At the right end of the bar, click the “More formatting options” button and select “Strikethrough.”
- That’s all there is to it; you’ve successfully strikethrough text in Gmail.
To strikethrough text in Gmail, follow the steps outlined above. However, it’s inconvenient to have to click three separate options simply to strikethrough. Fortunately, Gmail has also added a keyboard shortcut for swiftly striking through text in Gmail.
How to Strikethrough text in Gmail using a keyboard shortcut
- Firstly, Windows users can press “Alt+Shift+5” keys to strikethrough selected text.
- Also. Mac OS X users can press “Cmd+Shift+X” keys to strikethrough text.
- Finally, you can repeat both the above methods again to remove strikethrough from the text.
That’s all! You may now go almost anywhere within Gmail using only your keyboard. Some of the most useful shortcuts are “g” followed by I which takes you to your inbox. “C” will launch a new email composition window. The letter “E” will archive an email. And “j” and “k” will go up and down the list of emails.
These are just a few useful tips for making Gmail easier to use. I hope they are useful!